The Sustainable Life Sciences major gives you a strong foundation to become a world-class scientist and technologist. Someone who is a specialist in the biological sciences and technologies of the future. And, empower you to create leading work in the fields you choose to pursue
The discovery of the DNA structure has led to a revolution in the biological sciences, altering our idea of living systems forever. The ability to record and analyze large amounts of data, along with a massive increase in the power of desktop computing, has led to a paradigm shift. A shift in - how large systems of interacting entities can be observed, studied, and analyzed.
The new standard in sciences calls for a close collaboration between disciplines that have traditionally been considered separate. And, modern biological sciences, with its sharp focus on technologies and broad systems thinking, is a key area to expand the possibilities for human health and well-being in the 21st century.
As a future graduate, you must integrate knowledge from diverse fields. Understand both the promise and the peril of modern technologies. So that you can guide human knowledge towards a more sustainable future.
While pursuing the Sustainable Life Sciences major, you will learn the fundamentals of modern biological sciences in its full interdisciplinary span. And learn fundamentals that are essential for a future graduate.
All instruction will combine experiential, experimental, and theoretical learning into a powerful multimodal form of learning. Offering students and teachers room for experimentation. But, only as long as the demands of rigor have been met. Practical explorations in various forms (projects of varying intensity and duration) will be coupled with theoretical knowledge. You will also build your ability to read modern scientific literature. These varying pursuits will help you master tools needed to eventually learn on your own.
As part of the Sustainable Life Sciences major, you will work on a range of projects.
- The Code of Life: Extract and Analyze DNA:Understand the structure and function of DNA and RNA; the information-carrying molecules responsible for all life.
- Recombinant DNA: Use Nucleases to Genetically Alter Plasmids: Learn the fundamentals of altering small molecules of DNA using bacterial enzymes.
- From Atoms to Cells: Probe Cellular Structure and Theorize About its Atomic Basis : Understand the properties of the building blocks of matter. And, use this knowledge to conceptualize how complex arrangements of molecules could come together and be held together into the simplest forms of life.
- From Cells to Organisms: Dissect, Image and Theorize About Multicellular Life: Explore the evolution of multicellular life forms from single cells, uncovering principles of cellular organization and communication.
- Analyzing Sustainability: Build Environmental and Social Network Maps and Predict Outcomes: Explore the principles of how connected systems survive and sustain themselves, from the level of organisms to societies to entire ecosystems.
- Envisioning Cells: Elementary Optical Microscopy: Explore the different methods available to modern scientists that enable them to visualize structural details inside cells and tissues.
- Plant and Animal Tissue Processing: Histology and Immunohistochemistry: Learn the fundamentals of sectioning solid biological matter, using tissues from animals and plants.
- Light Microscopy: Advanced Light Microscopy and Introduction to Epifluorescence Microscopy: Learn the fundamentals of light microscopic systems. You will also learn how to process, handle samples, and acquire images independently.
- Data Acquisition Systems: Build Arduino and NIDAQ based time-lapse data acquisition systems: Learn how to build modern data acquisition systems and use them to acquire time-series data from the environment, and biological systems.
- Data Analysis: Acquire and Analyse Local Air Pollution Data: Explore and implement modern data analysis techniques based on self-acquired data.
- Dynamical Systems: Graph and Simulate Interacting Systems: Simulate and analyze interactions in recurrent networks to understand the complexity of actual systems. The fundamentals of ‘systems thinking’ will be embedded with projects such as these.
Please Note: The projects are tentative to change per emerging developments in the field.
“Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less.”
– Marie Curie, Scientist, Nobel Prize winner – 1903 & 1911.
While pursuing the Sustainable Life Sciences major, BSc (Hons) and BTech students can choose from 3 specializations in their fourth year of study.
- Stem Cells and Regenerative Medicine
The discovery of stem cells and methods to artificially induce them in the laboratory have provided mankind with the first real hope of extending both life and health. Beyond what was thought possible in the last century. From healing injuries to curing degenerative diseases and even slowing down the aging process, stem cell research is poised to become one of the most influential areas of human research.
- Virology and Microbiology
Viruses and bacteria are some of the most successful organisms on this earth. The negatives of which are apparent when we are hit by any infection. Be it tuberculosis or COVID-19! Yet, scientists have discovered that the human body harbors more microbes than human cells. And that these are critical to human health. A finding that has made the study of microbes more important than ever before.
Understanding the human brain is the last great frontier of science. It is an emerging field where techniques as diverse as molecular biology, surgery, and information theory come together to shed light on how this mysterious organ functions.
Please Note: BDes and BBA (PGD) students will specialize in areas of Design or Business Administration.
With the Sustainable Life Sciences major, you can graduate in any of our four degrees.
- BSc for the scientist who will research and implement ideas in the modern biological sciences and biotechnologies.
- BDes for the designer who will design spaces, machines, and structure the interactions that are necessary for effective conceptualization of systems used in the biological sciences.
- BTech for the engineer who will liaise with scientists to implement and communicate ideas in the modern biological sciences and biotechnologies.
- BBA for the businessperson who will work in the biology industry.
LEARNING FOR ACTION & IMPACT
The Sustainable Life Sciences major is designed to train you in a range of interdisciplinary skills and areas.
- Develop rigor in scientific reasoning and logic.
- Master the ability to conceptualize projects – real-world problems prevalent in industry and research – from the ground up.
- Ability to explore and stay curious.
- Build a systems-thinking approach to sustainability.
- Training in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, and Genetics.
- Training in Data Acquisition and Analysis.
- Training in Microscopy and Imaging.
- Training in Mathematical Methods for Biological Sciences.
- Proficiency in Programming.
- Proficiency in handling and shaping material objects. Examples include 3D printing, precision machining and art.
- Ability to conceptualize and execute long term projects.
- Design and Fabrication Skills.
- Communication Skills.
With a major in Sustainable Life Sciences, a range of career avenues open up for you across industries.
- Biotechnology Industry
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Higher education in the Biological Sciences and Biotechnology
- Facility Managers
- Technology Officers
- Marketing managers
COMPETITIVE EDGE WITH ATRIA UNIVERSITY
Atria University’s unique approach to academics ensures that you experience a combination of real-world projects and leading-edge theory through an interdisciplinary approach to studying the Sustainable Life Sciences major.
An integrated introduction to modern science and technology: You will draw upon both theory and experiment, delivered through constant immersion in real-world projects that will be conceptualized from the ground up. This is a unique approach grounded in doing what is often considered advanced work from day one.
Location: Atria University is surrounded by some of the most important science and ecology institutions and organizations in India such as NCBS, IISc, GKVK, ATREE, NCF, BioCON, InStem, Bayer, CCamp, among others. Providing a unique educational environment that exposes students to the best teachers and research in India.
Life Sciences are at the forefront of human discovery in the 21st century: Sustainable Life Sciences holds the key to human health as well as sustaining all life on this earth. While continuing to inspire technologies of the future across multiple disciplines.