The Energy Sciences major at Atria University prepares you to lead the global transition to embrace renewable energy technologies and sustainable practices.
The increased consumption and usage of electricity has powered innovation and growth of human civilization in the last century. At the same time, the resultant greenhouse gas emissions have caused the climate crisis we face today. A sustainable future demands that we shift to renewable energy systems.
Moreover, renewable energy will account for 55% of power generation in India by 2030. If you start in 2021, that is just five years after you graduate. With our Energy Sciences major, you’ll be able to impact the energy sector, beyond just engineering. And, be prepared for jobs of tomorrow.
The Energy Sciences major is designed to help you understand and tackle specific problems associated with renewable energy in terms of resource estimation and the regulatory environment.
The course will first give you a strong foundation in the principles of energy sciences. Followed by a broad overview of the technology applications in renewable energy plants. Through projects and immersive study modules, you will learn from the disciplines of electrical, electronics, and mechanical engineering, with a focus on renewable power systems. You will design installations. See actual working commercial plants. Conduct performance tests. And, gain real-world experience in policy and public engagement around renewable energy systems.
We've taken some bold steps in designing the Energy Sciences major. To move entirely away from fossil fuels, and focus only on renewable energy. Innovation in Solar Photovoltaics and battery design, improvements in grid design, and growing public concern around climate change have made renewables indespensible. Socially, economically, and environmentally - they are the most viable option for our future.
As part of the Energy Sciences major, you will work on a range of projects.
- Design, install, and commission a Solar Photovoltaic (PV) system for an under-resourced school.
- Research human-induced climate change and methods of mitigation.
- Techno-economic survey of all renewable energy systems.
- Design a utility-scale solar PV plant.
- Build a prototype for a solar thermal power unit.
- Create a blueprint for a wind farm.
- Investigate the performance of a utility-scale solar PV plant on site.
- Produce electricity and test the functioning of a Concentrated Solar Power (CSP) plant on site.
- Produce electricity and test the functioning of a wind farm on site.
- Run a social intervention and attempt to convert houses to solar power.
Please Note: The projects are tentative to change per emerging developments in the field.
“Because the wind blows during stormy conditions when the sun does not shine and the sun often shines on calm days with little wind, combining wind and solar can go a long way toward meeting demand, especially when geothermal provides a steady base and hydroelectric can be called on to fill in the gaps.”
– Mark Z. Jacobson & Mark A. Delucchi, Scientific American, Nov. 2009
With the Energy Sciences major, you can graduate in any of our four degrees.
- BSc for the scientist who wishes to study and research renewable energy.
- BDes for the designer of renewable energy plants.
- BTech for the engineer who will manufacture and operate renewable energy systems.
- BBA for the entrepreneur who will promote and own renewable energy plants.
LEARNING FOR ACTION & IMPACT
The major aims to train you in various skills and technologies in the Energy Sciences space.
- The infrastructure of sustainable energy systems – generation and distribution.
- Economics and finance of sustainability.
- Fundamentals of climate change.
- The business process of renewable energy.
- Design and operation in various verticals of renewable energy plants.
- Understanding the underlying technologies of renewable energy in science and manufacturing.
- Understanding renewable power plants at different scales – from rooftops to commercial power plants.
- Basics of electrical engineering for renewable energy.
With the Energy Sciences major, you will be skilled to strategize and develop sustainable solutions in the Renewable Energy sector. Opening up a range of career opportunities for you to pursue.
- Technical researcher at business enterprises.
- Study further for R&D roles in renewable energy.
- Researcher and educator at universities.
- Project managers.
- Data scientist.
- Research scientist.
- Sales and marketing.
- Environmental solutions engineer.
- Energy manager.
- Test and balance engineer.
- Verification engineer.
- Energy process lead.
COMPETITIVE EDGE WITH ATRIA UNIVERSITY
Atria University offers you a unique curriculum structure across disciplines to help you re-learn concepts and develop a mindset that is oriented towards becoming future-ready.
Immersive learning through projects: Education is rewarding when you’re able to bridge your understanding with its application. This is why our curriculum structure is designed for you to deep-dive into 30 industry-driven projects across 4 years. Allowing you to not just learn but also gain real-world experience while making a tangible impact in the world.
Understanding Science in Action: With a major in Energy Sciences, you get to delve deep into a field that has the power to create positive global changes. With its unique learning methodology, Atria University encourages you to evaluate the correlation between environment and economics, and implement novel ideas in power generation.
Visionary major: Renewable Energy will grow from 20% currently, to account for 55% of power generation in India by 2030. If you start college in 2021, that is just five years after you graduate. At Atria University, through interdisciplinary learning, you’ll be trained to impact the energy sector, beyond just engineering. And be prepared for jobs of tomorrow.